Adecco Group is the world’s leading provider of HR solutions, with over 31,000 employees operating across 5,500 offices in more than 60 countries worldwide. Based in Zurich, Switzerland, Adecco’s international reach connects around 600,000 candidates with 100,000 clients every day, whilst also boasting Fortune Global 500 status.
Working in partnership with the Adecco, social media agency Zoocha were tasked to develop an application that could act as both a standalone website and a Facebook application. The premise of the app was to allow users to “Shoot and upload a video of your colleagues or friends competing in fun Olympics-inspired events in your workplace for your chance to get your hands on tickets to London 2012 events”. These would be known as “Workplace Games”.
Drupal seemed like the natural choice to power the microsite because it has a series of modules that enabled 80% of the functionality to be achieved very quickly. The key modules were Video, Views + CCK and Voting API (with Fivestar) underpinned the entire project.
To generate an initial critical mass of video’s, Adecco ran an internal competition for staff at their offices around the globe to compete for the best “Workplace Games” video entry. Once the internal staff competition was over, the application was opened up to the general public. Upon general release, the solution was slightly tweaked to meet the needs of the new audience, and followed the tried and tested user flow of funnelling users on to the Facebook page of the brand, and then presenting users with a strong call to action to enter the application. Once here, users were encourage to participate in the competition.
Some of the technical highlights of the project were:
- Drupal 6 implementation.
- Integration with the ZenCoder API for high quality video encoding of user submitted files.
- Integration with Amazon S3 for cost-effective storage and distribution of video files.
- Facebook website and Drupal microsite sharing the same DB, to form a truly joined up campaign.
- Integration with the Voting API module within Drupal from an external Facebook app to allow for pooled voting between the Facebook application and the Drupal microsite.
- Different levels of access to the site.
- Full admin moderation of UGC